A while back when I was checking my local fabric shop I came across this cotton. It’s black and off-white striped and near enough to a canvas but without the crazy stiffness. I loved it. I loved it more when I realised there was a few meters on the remnant table! So what did I need? A striped circle skirt!
It was sat in my stash for possibly about a year without much thought. I’d wanted to create a cute/spooky sort of vibe with it for a while, but it didn’t happen. Until I had the flu and finally just sat the hell down and got on with it!
Now, you might ask why I thought it was necessary to mention I was ill when I was making this skirt. My dears, in my flu-high, I managed to cut the thing arse about face! I ended up with a centre back seam that was… well… a little fucked up. I dashed back to Rolls and Rems to source more fabric, but I was unsuccessful. In the end, I decided to take my scissors to my pattern pieces in a desperate attempt to salvage the project.
And damn, if that doesn’t look like a purposely-decided design feature, I don’t know what does!
So I should possibly explain. Since my skirt has side seam pockets and a centre back zip, I had a half-circle for the front and two quarter-circles for the back. 3/4ths of this skirt was perfect and matchy-matchy. Then that last quarter panel was pretty much an exact copy of the other, instead of a mirror. Boo.
So with a little bit of brainstorming and some help from Rosie, I decided to split by back panels into eighths and take off an eighth either side of the front panel and mix it all up so that the panels’ mixed directions look a little less like a mistake! My visual help looked like this, if you were somewhat confused.
Whew. That was wordy. Anyway. It worked out pretty nicely, I’d say! Even if I did mess up for a second time and accidentally switched around two panels (Points go to anyone who can spot my mistake ;D).
Literally the only other thing I dislike about this skirt is I made the holes to the pockets just a tad too small. That’s it!